Physical therapy is fairly common for people who live an active lifestyle, but if you have never been before, there are a few questions you should ask your physical therapist during a consultation. Physical therapy is great for people looking for a natural way to rehabilitate an injury in hopes of making a full recovery. Most physical therapy offices will offer a free consultation, which will allow you and the doctor to go over any concerns or questions you may have regarding your treatment. If you are looking for a physical therapist in Peoria or the surrounding Phoenix area, consider giving us a call. We would be happy to answer all of these questions you should ask your physical therapist during a consultation.
Does my Insurance Cover this Treatment Plan?
- This is a really important question to ask if you didn’t cover it in your initial phone call setting up the appointment. Depending on your insurance provider, your treatment may be covered completely, partially, or not at all. This is important to be aware of before a physical therapy session is set up because you will want to know how much you will be paying out of pocket per session for the treatment.
How many sessions will my treatment require?
- Each patient and injury is different and treated on a case by case basis. Most physical therapists will set a minimal number of sessions with each client estimating the time of recovery based on the extent of the injury. How you progress after each session will depend on your commitment to practice the methods you learn outside of your therapy sessions. If you follow the rehabilitation plan strictly, your recovery will be shorter and treatment will be more effective.
Is there anything I can do to help the healing process move faster?
- This is a question a lot of physical therapists get, especially from athletes or people who live very active lifestyles. No one wants to be held back from the activities they love so speeding up the healing process is always on their mind. You physical therapist will give you exercises, stretches, and mobility movements to practice at home between your sessions. They will give you guidelines to follow including how often you should be doing these exercises at home. If you follow you physical therapists instructions, your recover should move along at the expected pace and you can get back to doing the activities you love in no time.
Will I make a full recover?
- One of the hardest questions you should ask your physical therapist during a consultation is whether or not you will make a full recovery. The reason this question is so hard to ask but needs to be discussed is because is there may not be a definitive answer until all options have been exhausted and you are able to see the results. The goal is to make a full recovery, and your physical therapist will do everything in their power to help you get there but the truth is that sometimes the damage done is too extensive. If the damage is that bad, there is a possibility you may not make a full recovery, but that is not to say you will be in pain the rest of your life. This simply means you may be limited to certain activities, movement, or mobility. Physical therapists want to help you get back to living a pain free and active lifestyle just as much as you want to, which is why they will work with you endlessly to achieve your recovery goals.
What are the physical therapy sessions like?
- Each session should be slightly different from the previous one if you are progressing at a good rate. If you are doing the assigned exercises and making the adjustments you physical therapists has suggested, each session will push you a little bit harder and require more strength and flexibility in the injured area. The goal is to gain full mobility back without pain, therefore each session should be challenging yet progressive with new techniques taught each time. This is one of the best questions you should ask your physical therapist during a consultation because it will prepare you for what to expect going into your first few sessions.
Who will I be working with during each of my sessions?
- This is one of the most important questions you should ask your physical therapist during a consultation. The only people you should be working with are licensed physical therapists or licensed therapy assistant. Sometimes physical therapy offices will have techs or assistants that are untrained, but it is important for your rehabilitation and recover to have someone trained in the industry leading your sessions to ensure you are getting the best care possible. You want to feel comfortable and trust your physical therapist and their team which is why this question is so important.
Questions You Should Ask Your Physical Therapist During a Consultation in Peoria
Physical therapy is a great natural option to rehabilitate your body after an injury. If you are looking for a physical therapist in your area, consider asking the questions above to ensure you are getting the proper care and best treatment fit for your injury. Physical therapy can help you live a pain free life after an injury.
Contact Desert Edge Physical Therapy for a therapist in Peoria or surrounding Phoenix cities.
published on Friday, May 18th, 2018